Mister Mac and the Evil Epilepsy

My dog Mac had his first seizure on November 4th, 2010.

His second seizure on December 3rd, 2010.

His third on March 8th, 2011.

His most recent, on January 29th, 2013.

Mac was diagnosed with epilepsy after his second seizure in 2010. At that time, I Google’d dogs with epilepsy and YouTube’d videos and tried to learn everything that I could about what was happening with our little pup. I read blogs and searched for information on veterinary websites.

I just wanted to know what to do.

So, after Mac’s most recent seizure(s), I thought maybe I’d share what happened [again?] just in case there was someone else out there wondering what to do.

Since being diagnosed, Mac has never had “regular” seizures. They vary in duration, symptoms, recovery, and the time he goes without seizures changes as well. He can sometimes go months and months without any, or seize once a month for a while.

On the 29th of January, my fiance and I were in bed sleeping, when Kevin woke up and heard the dog making a lot of noise, noises characteristic of a seizure (growling, whining, yelps, scratching, snapping of his teeth, snarling, winded and erratic breathing, etc.). He woke me up and I ran into the spare room. Mac was actually sleeping on the spare bed when his seizure started. Kevin and I just watched as he seized, he fell off of the bed onto the floor, and then I asked Kevin to get the video camera. What you will see, is actually the end of the seizure and him “coming out of it”.

[warning – some may be alarmed by what you see in the video – please watch at your own discretion]

So what you see in the video is the end of Mac’s seizure and the process of him regaining consciousness and ability to mobilize. After the video ends, Kevin and I kept Mac in the spare room until he could stand unassisted before helping him down the (fourteen) stairs to go outside. The facial seizures you see in the video continued so we called our Vet Hospital (where Mac is very well known) and decided to bring him in to be examined. On the way there, he seized again in the back of our SUV, and then the facial seizures continued in the vet office. Eventually, he was given Valium. They wanted to keep him for observation but we were both off all day and so decided it would be better for him to be at home.

Knock on wood, he hasn’t had another since that day – and we just had him in today for phenobarbitol titres and prescription refill, yay! He currently takes 1 & 1/2 tabs every 12 hours (90mg BID). He seems to be doing well! And from what the vet has told me, over and over and over, is that it doesn’t hurt him and that he’s fine! So stay calm and take good care of your pups, it will be ok! :)

Hope this helped someone out, feel free to share and comment below!


[props to the Oromocto Vet Hospital (OVH) for their love & kindness over the last 2 years!]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s